Art Alexion on 20 Jun 2005 17:28:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mp3 cd backup/fileserver

Jeff Watson wrote:

>the comcast man just hooked me up with cable internet at my new place
>and i was looking to install something on my old computer and use it
>to back up my music collection and use as a fileserver for my house.
>Any good distro ideas? I am also playing with Ubuntu on my laptop...
>So i am in distro-experimention stage once again.

I have been using Ubuntu since October or November of last year, and
like it very much for general everyday use.  That said, the current
version, Hoary, is much better than Warty was for multimedia, but would
not be my choice for a machine that is primarily for music.  MP3 support
is intentionally weak.  Audacity is hit or miss. Forget mplayer.

I have heard good things about agnula (http://www.agnula.org/) which is
supposed to be a distro optimized for audio.  It comes in Red Hat/RPM
and Debian/apt flavors.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c