M.Simons on 21 Jun 2005 01:34:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] mp3 cd backup/fileserver

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Jeff Watson wrote:
> the comcast man just hooked me up with cable internet at my new place
> and i was looking to install something on my old computer and use it
> to back up my music collection and use as a fileserver for my house.

I too am in search of a similar thing.  I have a Tivo and there is
a software interface now so that you can play mp3s, oggs, stream music,
show photos through your TV/stereo system, as well as download recorded
shows off your tivo.

I figure eventually it would be good if there is a specialized distro for
such a thing, as well as perhaps one which would do things like
automatically catalog one's media collection, etc.

My thoughts are such a thing would run headless and be integrated into the
entertainment center, or be otherwise similarly placed. (Although, since
my tivo is networked, it really isn't neccessary.)

> Any good distro ideas? I am also playing with Ubuntu on my laptop...

One thing that I think is important, is not to be swayed by media tools --
while they could be important and helpful -- ripping cds, cataloging cds,
writing backups to dvd/cd, etc. the key point is that this is basically a
file server.  I'm still trying to figure it all out, but I'd love to see a
customized or specialized distro for such a thing.  I've looked at various
obscure distros but haven't fixed on much of anything yet; nothing quite
fits the bill.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY www.michaelsimons.com
Turning Old Into New?: Please Take Materials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org