Cosmin Nicolaescu on 21 Jun 2005 02:05:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Corrupted library file name

On Mon, June 20, 2005 10:15 pm, Ben Dugan said:

> I was rebooting a system running Redhat 7.3 (old, I know) and I was
> thrown into the "run fsck manually" path.  So I did (run fsck manually)
> and was confronted with a very large number (>100) errors, bad inodes,
> etc.  On the next reboot, after these repairs, the system is freezing at
> a point where it looks for libext2fs.so.2.4.  I have enough of a system
> that I can look into the /lib directory, where I see a file with the
> name: libext2"s.so.4 (that's a quote char between the 2 and the s).
>
> I don't see any other files with bad names like this one, and I'm hoping
> there's some way I can mv or otherwise correct this name and get this
> system back on the air, at least long enough to run postgres once to do
> a pgdump on a database that's on this machine.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> At the moment I can't find the old 7.3 boot CD, either, though I suppose
> I might find an iso for this online.
>
> In a related question: How is this device (/dev/hda2) write-protected if
>   mount says its (rw) and I'm superuser?
>
> Ben

Ouch...kinda sounds to me like the partition is corrupt...either that or
our hdd is dying...was it an ext2/3 partition?

my suggestion would be to boot under knoppix and see if you can mount
it...if you can i would check the data and if it seems fine, copy it
somewhere...

the reason why mount shows rw is because it's still reading mtab. spo it's
not really accurate.

good luck!

- -Cos

- --
GPG key fingerprint = DE9F 4664 E666 2BD1 903E  4F4D EA31 5FB1 C7F9 08C1