Pat Regan on 30 Jun 2005 20:46:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dvd burner

Stewart B. Lone wrote:

> | Does anyone have any suggestions for a dvd burner compatible with
> | Linux, or point me to a resource with information.
> | I see one on sale at Staples for a nice price[$139.00]Memorex-all
> | modes but dont want to buy a pig in the poke that wont work with
> | current OS.
> | Thanx
> | Stewart
>
> My bad, I didnt mention that I require an USB connection--in
> particular USB 1.1 as my T-30 came out just before IBM made 2.0
> standard. In any case I believe backward compatibility is the norm.
> Stewart

I would recommend you do what I did.  I have an older 4x IDE DVD burner
that I put into a USB 2.0 enclosure.  The enclosure is nothing fancy,
and I believe it was about 20-25 dollars.

As for a reasonably priced drive, I would recommend this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827182031

I have the old 4x model, and I have burned somewhere in the ballpark of
200 or more discs with it.  I also put the 12x model into my
girlfriend's computer, and I believe I put this 16x model into her
father's machine.  All of them work just fine, and they have had no
trouble burning any of the media I have bought (although my 4x
apparently needs a flash to burn some sort of "new" type of media that I
bought one time).

You may very well have issues burning at even 1x using USB 1.1.
though...  1x is about 1.3MB/sec which is faster than raw USB 1.1.  If
you were trying to burn video discs I wouldn't even try, but you will
likely do OK with data discs.  Most drives support burnfree or
burnproof, or whatever they call it.  I understand a lot of DVD players
will have trouble reading discs where burnfree had to kick in, but I
don't think any DVD ROM drives will have that trouble.  I know I have
had it kick in once or twice for various reasons, and the discs worked
just fine.

Pat