Chad Waters on 6 Jul 2005 14:17:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Delivery reports about your e-mail

On 7/6/05, Rebecca Ore <rebecca.ore@verizon.net> wrote:
> All these means that someone on an infected machine had addresses and
> spoofed both the sender (I've gotten email from clueless admins telling
> me that my machine was sending bot spam when that highly unlikely
> (running Mac or Linux, not opening email with attachments I wasn't
> expecting).

I get bonehead unsubscribe requests and flame mails when
spammers forge an older domain of mine.

The only thing I could do is add this to dns...
waterz.net.             3600    IN      TXT     "v=spf1 -all"
...which says this domain doesn't send any mail.

>Some of the bots even harvested email addresses from
> Usenet.  It's possible that the current bot has a web crawler.  Nobody
> on this list is necessarily infected -- the bot can get addresses in
> many way.

Is it unreasonable to ask that email addresses be obscured in the
mailing list archive?

http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/

The effectiveness of "me at example dot tld" instead of
"me@example.tld" might be debatable,  but at least it is something and
should be trivial to set up.

--
-Chad C Waters