Geoff Rivell on 19 Jul 2005 16:13:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: why Gentoo

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 11:43 am, Cosmin Nicolaescu wrote:
> If you have a laptop with an 80GB hard drive then you probably have a good
> processor also, so it doesn't really matter if you compile things from
> scratch or not :)

How does Gentoo handle the jumps of C++ ABI?  For instance, QT/KDE compiled by
GCC 3.4, then you upgrade to GCC 4.

I have 6 systems I have to update.  All with different processors.  Some x86,
some ppc.  Gentoo would be too much of a hassle in this environment.  Even
with one computer, it would be too much of a hassle with GCC taking up 99%
cpu in the background.