gyoza on 20 Jul 2005 05:29:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dyndns

rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:

it is my understanding that this is a dhcp lease arrangement.

what is the term of this lease.

if the connection is always on, when does the address change.

as an intellectual exercise, and perhaps a convenience to my students,

i want to setup a linux/apache web server, etc. at home.

can i do this with dynamic dns, a service advertised as free for up to 5 hosts.

anyone have experience with dyndns.org? any thoughts?

I think you will enjoy setting that up. What do you teach?

The IP address will not change unless you switch off the modem for some period of time. If the IP changes, an update, either manual or automatic, is sent to your DNS service.

Check out http://www.xname.org/ and/or http://www.dyndns.com/