Greg Lopp on 28 Jul 2005 05:00:11 -0000

[PLUG] [OT] No outgoing email for two days

This is not a Linux issue, but I was hoping that the kind, knowledgable, experienced mail administrators on the list will be able to offer so pointers.

I work for a small company as a developer. Since we're small, myself and another guy double as the IT staff. As it turns out, no outgoing email has been received from us in the last two days. Incoming email is fine.

A couple of times in the past, attglobal.net (I think) put us on a black list, resulting in bounced messages to that domain. The most recent occurence was a few weeks ago and we appear to have cleared up our issues with them. This appears to be a separate problem anyway, because 1) it appears to be effecting all email and 2) no bounced messages.

So here's the question: how do I go about investigating this problem? I know a little bit about DNS and MX records, but again, this is effecting all email. spamhaus.org doesn't have anything bad to say about us (I suppose I should check other lists). Is there anyway that I can track outgoing email as it makes its way to this blackhole? We've not changed any software or settings on our end during this time.

Greg Lopp