Michael C. Toren on 28 Jul 2005 05:13:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] No outgoing email for two days

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:00:21AM -0500, Greg Lopp wrote:
> Is there anyway that I can track outgoing email as it makes its way to
> this blackhole?  We've not changed any software or settings on our end
> during this time.

If the messages are backing up in your MTA's outbound mail queue, you can
examine the MTA's logfiles to determine why it is unable to connect to any
remote systems to delivery messages.  You didn't mention which MTA you're
using, but most likely whichever it is makes this somewhat easy to do.

However, if the messages are being successfully relayed by your MTA to a
remote host which is in turn silently dropping the message, things become
more difficult.  Just about the best you can do is make note of the time
and date a message was accepted by the remote system, plus any message
tracking information it provided when it accepted responsibility for
delivering the message, then contact the administrator of the remote host
and ask them to find the logfile entries on their side which correspond to
the same message delivery attempt.

-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec