George Theall on 28 Jul 2005 11:50:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] No outgoing email for two days

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:00:21AM -0500, Greg Lopp wrote:

> no outgoing
> email has been received from us in the last two days. Incoming email
> is fine.
> So here's the question: how do I go about investigating this problem?

Here are some things I would look at:

  o Is the MTA daemon / service even running?

  o Are there resource issues on the mail server that are preventing
    the MTA from sending mail? For example, is the load average too
    high? Are you out of disk space? Is your anti-virus working?

  o Do the logs suggest what the problem is? Or do they instead
    show the messages as being simply sent?

  o Does the problem involve all outbound messages or only some?

  o Is DNS working from that box? For example, can you lookup MX and
    A records for some of the affected mail servers?

  o Is there a network issue blocking outbound connections on
    port 25?

If these questions fail to help you, provide some details on your
configuration; eg, which MTA are you using and are you configured to
deliver directly or through a smart-host?

George
--
theall@tifaware.com