Eric Hidle on 28 Jul 2005 12:06:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux Jobs @ Google...

IBM also cut several thousand jobs in the early 1990's when economic
conditions warranted it..

It happens... economies are cyclical, and companies have to trim people
during recessionary economic periods.. the problem with IBM is that they do
not actively tune their resource levels - so they wait and wait until they
are bleeding so fast they have to shed huge numbers in one fell swoop, which
makes the news.

Just as an academic exercise, try to think of some companies that you never
hear of laying off large numbers of people. These are companies that stay on
top of their resource management processes. Trimming a few here and there,
adding a few here and there, as business conditions and requirements
dictate, is a far more supportive of continuous growth than large scale
adjustments that are more of a reaction to a bad quarterly financial filing.

Just my OT $0.02...