Chris Cera on 9 Aug 2005 03:30:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] grepmail + maildir

> > Other than using more inodes, is there a big difference in space used
> > just bzipping individual mail files instead of putting in an mbox and
> > bzipping that?
>
> Yes.  bzip can take advantage of all the text in 64k worth of e-mail much
> better than inside each individual mail file.  Plus, less headers.

I just ran a quick test.  40MB of email compresses to 20MB as a
tar.bz2, and 25MB as a collection of bz2 files.  I *think* the
12.5% difference will be fairly consistent (assuming the same mix
of ascii/binary mail) since my test-case is larger than bz2's
block size of 900k (default).

--
Chris Cera                                         http://cera.us