Mike Leone on 16 Aug 2005 03:35:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Just trying to ping my DSL modem

Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
>> I have been using DCAnet with Verizon here for the last year and it has
>> worked well. They DHCP to a MAC address (the hardware ethernet address of
>> a device). I decided to use a router rather then a computer as the
>> front-end. I have found this to work well. I use a linksys cable/dsl four
>> port wired router. It does the DHCP (to it's MAC address) with DCAnet. I
>> then have a 192.168.x.x local network. If I have to change the router (I
>> have) you simply clone the MAC address that you originally gave DCAnet
>> into the device. Doing it this way you have no down time. You could also
>> contact DCAnet and update your MAC address, which would take some time.

Took less than 5 minutes, when I did it. :-) I changed my Linux router
(a LEAF box) for a wireless Belkin router. Called DCA up; gave them the
new MAC address; 5 minutes later (which I spent configuring the
forwarding rules on the Belkin), and I was back up and online.

--
We're all basically primeval slime with ideas above its station.
                                           - Dr. Who