chris on 17 Aug 2005 02:34:29 -0000

[PLUG] Mounting SATA RAID NTFS in Fedora Core 3

Hey everyone,

I seem to be having some problems trying to mount a NTFS partition in
Fedora Core 3.

To give some background on the situation. I have two 150GB Serial ATA
drives on a RAID 0 array. One of the drives has some corrupt sectors which
makes booting into XP a fun game of detect and repair. So I went out and
bought a new Hitachi Deskstar 80GB IDE and installed Fedora. All I really
need to do is to grab some photos and some web development files off of
the old XP drives.

So Fedora recognizes the drives and on boot spits out this error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,or too many
mounted file systems

So I did some searching and found dmraid. If I run 'dmraid -ay' and then
try a 'mount /dev/sdb/' I get the error:

mount: /dev/sdb already mounted or /media/d_drive busy

Now the /media/d_drive folder I created when I was trying to follow
directions to edit my /etc/fstab which I added the following line to:

/dev/sdb   /media/d_drive     ntfs    ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0

If I try and run 'mount -ay' without dmraid running (or dmraid -an) then I
get the same error as I mentioned I get on boot.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Does the 'superblock' error on boot mean that Fedora, like XP, can not
cleanly mount the drives because of sector errors?

2. If not, am I using dmraid incorrectly? Does it automagically mount my
/dev/sdb to somewhere that I am not aware of?

3. I have /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. Which of these do I
try to mount? I have been trying sda or sdb but are those the *physical*
drives whereas sda1 and sda2 are the "RAID" created drives?

4. If I am going about this completely wrong, how do I properly mount a
raid sata partition in Fedora?

Thanks guys, I know this is alot of information all at once. I have
scowered the internet for answers but I didnt want to start blindly
flailing around until I asked the group first.

Chris