Doug Crompton on 24 Aug 2005 14:27:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FYI - FIOS/DCAnet

Yes it seems it might be a sad day for us that like to roll our own.
Hopefully the uproar about it will be big enough to let us keep going. It
seems a lot of small to moderate size ISP's have a lot to lose.

Another question, if anyone can answer it... With FIOS will we lose our
ability to use our phones during a power failure? I am assuming FIOS will
supply no DC power to the home. How then is the interface to the internal
phone system supplied? I would hope it is at least battery backed up in
the Verizon supplied interface. As much as I like technolgy the current
100+ year old system is damn reliable!

Doug

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, William H. Magill wrote:

> And since the recent Supreme Court decision, I wouldn't hold my
> breath for any change in policy anytime in the future.
>
> Sadly, because of that decision, I expect that within 3-5 years, (as
> the various existing ISP contract expire), DSL will go the same way.
> Already prices are climbing as the RBOCS are no longer required to
> offer "discounts" to competitors.
>
> If you want "current DSL like" data service, you will be stuck with
> the RBOC or CLEC version only.
>
> The future does not look good for anybody except the "dumb consumer."
> The "pro-sumer" is despised by both Cable providers and RBOC alike --
> they expect too much (i.e. good service), know too much (i.e. how to
> complain), and pay too little. Even the "Business consumer" is likely
> to find that unless they go "top-drawer" their options for
> connectivity will be extremely limited. And with the "Terms and
> Conditions" posted on web sites with no notification of the customer
> necessary, the customer won't even know they have been screwed until
> something stops working and are told -- we don't offer that service
> anymore.
>
> The days of "free" (i.e. cheap) bits are over, and as "content"
> becomes king, the pressure will continue to mount to "find new
> sources of revenue" to pay for it.
>
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill
> # Beige G3 [Rev A motherboard - 300 MHz 768 Meg] OS X 10.2.8
> # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) [800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg] OS X 10.4.1
> # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg] Tru64 5.1a
> # XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
> # XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD 5.3
> magill@mcgillsociety.org
> magill@acm.org
> magill@mac.com
> whmagill@gmail.com