Jeff Abrahamson on 24 Aug 2005 15:12:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FYI - FIOS/DCAnet

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:59:33AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> If you want "current DSL like" data service, you will be stuck with
> the RBOC or CLEC version only.

In the realm of fantasy, what obstacles would stop a parallel
"geek-net" from forming?  That is, in many cities we live close enough
to our neighbors that an 802.11 peering network can form, each access
point running inter-router protocols.  Of course, here and there these
things would have to peer to the standard internet, but it's cheaper
to band together to pay for a T1 or better here and there than to have
everyone have to pay a lot for descent service.

Of course, only the geeks and nerds would care, so it may simply not
be affordable.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287