Stewart B. Lone on 25 Aug 2005 01:18:00 -0000

[PLUG] fstab editing

I purchased a new NEC dvd rw dual layer etc.etc., for my laptop. I have
installed it an enclosure that connects via USB  I am in the process of
editing fstab. I have it hooked up and it works ok as root, but not in
my user account. Actually it works as a user, but eraticaly, and
sometimes using the force option in Kb3. Below is a view of my fstab
file now unedited. Pardon the word wrap on the last line

/dev/hda2            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr  1 1
/dev/hda1            swap                 swap       pri=42          0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults        0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto          0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto          0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

I plan on adding so far:-

/dev/dvdrw           /media/sr0           subfs     noauto,rw,user,suid,

In addition I will be adding "exec,iocharset=utf8" in the 4th column,
and 0 0 in the 5th and 6th. My quandry is when I look at the entry for
the dvd ro installed in my laptop there are some items that I dont under
stand. For instance "fs=cdfss","procuid" and "nodev". I have done some
reading, but no joy. I have read that a possible option for the whole
fourth column is "default", but I need some input to be sure. Especially
as I am running Suse 9.3 and I have heard that Suse does some things
"their own way". All help welcome.

Stewart