Stewart B. Lone on 26 Aug 2005 15:43:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] fstab editing

Jon Nelson wrote:
Stewart B. Lone said:

I purchased a new NEC dvd rw dual layer etc.etc., for my laptop. I have
installed it an enclosure that connects via USB  I am in the process of
editing fstab. I have it hooked up and it works ok as root, but not in
my user account. Actually it works as a user, but eraticaly, and
sometimes using the force option in Kb3. Below is a view of my fstab
file now unedited. Pardon the word wrap on the last line

/dev/hda2            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr  1 1
/dev/hda1            swap                 swap       pri=42          0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults        0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto          0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto          0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

I plan on adding so far:-

/dev/dvdrw /media/sr0 subfs noauto,rw,user,suid,

On my Debian system I have:

    /dev/hdc        /cdrom  auto    ro,user,noauto  0 0

and I have had no problems.  For Suse you might want to look at:

    http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=743&view=previous

which was the first hit on a google search for 'mount dvd subfs'.

Jon

In addition I will be adding "exec,iocharset=utf8" in the 4th column,
and 0 0 in the 5th and 6th. My quandry is when I look at the entry for
the dvd ro installed in my laptop there are some items that I dont under
stand. For instance "fs=cdfss","procuid" and "nodev". I have done some
reading, but no joy. I have read that a possible option for the whole
fourth column is "default", but I need some input to be sure. Especially
as I am running Suse 9.3 and I have heard that Suse does some things
"their own way". All help welcome.

Stewart

Thank you very much for your reply. In fact after many tries and a lot of. searching I came up with the solution. As an interesting point it seems that the guy that came up with and maintains K3n is kinda angry with Red hat and Suse for packaging "bastardized" versions of his software with their distributions. Apparently, you can download an upgrade, and he will send you a free key for personal and non-commercial use, I got the DVD at srO to work as a user with this line in fstab.----- /dev/sr0(0,0,0) /media/dvdrw auto rw,noauto,user,dev,exec,sync,suid,iocharset-utf8 0 0 . To get the cdrw capability of the drive I had to add this line.----- /dev/sr0(0,0,0) /media/cdrw auto rw,noauto,user,dev,exec,sync,suid,iocharset-utf8 0 0 . Pardon the word wrap. I dont know if I really need the "(0.0.0)" after "/dev/sr0", but every thing is working fine so Im not going to mess with it. My fstab now looks like this:- *********************************************************** /dev/hda2 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1 /dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42 0 0 devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0 /dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0 /dev/sr0(0,0,0) /media/dvdrw auto rw,noauto,user,dev,exec,sync,suid,iocharset-utf8 0 0 /dev/sr0(0,0,0) /media/cdrw auto rw,noauto,user,dev,exec,sync,suid,iocharset-utf8 0 0 ********************************************************************* Thax again for your reply Stewart B. Lone