John Von Essen on 31 Aug 2005 02:32:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: SRE @ Google

Tony,

When the Google guy posted this on the list a month or so a go, I immediately followed-up with a remark about google offering far below average salaries. His response was a very canned answer - and of course he didn't acknowledge if Google pays competitive wages.

So when you say $35k, I'm not suprized at all.

Screw google. 5 years from now Microsoft will have swallowed up some of their top disgruntled engineers, and voila, tables are turned. Just like AMD did against Intel in the late 90's.

-john

On Aug 30, 2005, at 9:37 PM, Toby DiPasquale wrote:

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 07:08:46PM -0400, Cosmin Nicolaescu wrote:
------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
From: "Jeff Polo" <jpolo@google.com>
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -

The group I'm supporting is Google.com Engineering (a.k.a. Site
Reliability Engineering, or SRE) This multi-talented group of engineers
all have some mix of Linux/Unix systems administration experience, solid
scripting/coding skills, and a firm understanding of networking. They are
responsible for ensuring the quality, speed, and uptime of Google's
services and tools and managing the production systems and network they
run on. From code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to
maintenance of our most cutting edge services; from monitoring and alerts
to building new automation
infrastructure, our SRE engineers are in the thick of everything related
to keeping Google.com running at peak.

The guy is interestred in full-time positions, so just email him with a
resume if you'd like to.

Might want to check out the situation there; I've heard from some people
on the West Coast that they pay very poorly for this type of position
(e.g. $35K for sysadmin around SF).

-- T