Ronald Mansolino on 3 Sep 2005 22:51:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] turntable to CD

> Michael Lazin wrote:
>
> >Audacity is a nice sound recorder with a lot of features.  If you have
> >the equipment I would suggest having your turntable hooked up to a
> >mixer and plugging the line out or tape out from your mixer into the
> >mic in of your computer.  Mixers use RCA connectors but you can buy an
> >RCA to 1/8" jack at Radio Shack for cheap.
> >

> Thanks, Michael.  I have Audacity, have played with it as a mixer, but
> never thought of it as a recorder.
>
> I don't have a mixer.  Do I plug the turntable into the sound card
> directly, or through the receiver/amp?

Your turntable most likely has either the wrong impedance or too low an
output for the soundcard. Boosting the input gain to compensate can lead
to increased noise. Most turntables need a preamp, which is why amps often
have special inputs for them.

If your receiver has a pair of "line out" or "tape out" jacks, you should
plug those into the "line in" on your sound card. Check that the EQ is flat
and then adjust it only if you think it needs tweaking. Check the resulting
file against a reference (like a CD you are familiar with) so that your output
is in the right ballpark. It takes a little practice to get the dynamic range
right, and expect every album/song to have different requirements. Start with
a short song and experiment, with different levels at different stages to
see what works best.