bergman on 3 Sep 2005 17:22:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] turntable to CD

In the message dated: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:31:06 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Art Alexion on
<[PLUG] turntable to CD> were:
=> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
=> --===============1335030080==
=>
=> Any recommendations for software for ripping from analog sources such as
=> turntables and cassette players, fixing things like pop and hiss and
=> then burning to CD?  Doesn't need to be a single package; one for each
=> task is fine.

I've had this discussion a couple of times, and here are some of the answers
I've gotten:

	http://www.8ung.at/klappnase/phonoripper/phonoripper.html
Among other things, it's supposed to automatically recognize tracks and save
songs as individual files.
--------------------------------
One person reported their steps as:

1/ Digitised with Krecord.  [One of its nice features is that it won't
start recording until it sees a signal - amplitude user adjustable - such
as happens when the stylus drops onto the LP!]

2/ GWC - gnome wave cleaner.  Wow!  It really cleans up LPs.  It won't work
miracles,  but for most of my LPs it removed all the clicks and plops,
and with a bit more work, removes surface noise too.

3/ GWC detects tracks (actually x seconds of silence; x is adjustable) and
will write out a table of contents file which can include track names,
etc.   This file is usable by cdrdao to create an audio CD.

Step 2 can be very time consuming - I allowed a couple of hours per LP for
those that I really cared about.  Mostly it's listening for errors missed
by the clean up operations.   And my LPs are mostly in excellent
condition.
-------------------------------------

Also check out gramofile (gramophile?).

I haven't tried any of these. One day I'll finally unpack my vinyl and
turntable and try it myself, so I'm interested in hearing what works for you.

Thanks,

Mark

=>
=> I know Nero/Linux does this but is there an open source alternative.
=>
=> --
=>
=> _______________________________________
=> Art Alexion
=> Arthur S. Alexion LLC
=> arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
=> aim: aalexion
=> sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com
=>
=> PGP fingerprint: 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661  92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
=> The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
=> Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html
=>
=> Key for signed PDFs available at
=> http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c
=> The validation string is TTJY-ZILJ-BJJG.
=> ________________________________________
=>
=>
=> --------------enigB5D1370FCB4AA0D15E722CAD