Stewart B. Lone on 6 Sep 2005 01:11:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Anyone get Verizon DSL in the last 12 months?

Eric wrote:
| Aluminium foil will not help.  Magnetic shielding must be
ferro-magnetic (if I
| recall my electromagnetics course :-P)  Easy way is to separate it by
some
| inches or, if you must have it near electric power cords, you can
shield it
| with mu metal.  You can get some mu metal from the inside of an old
| television set if you have a pair of tin snips and a few minutes.  It
was the
| metal they used to build the "cage" that surrounded the yokes and the
neck of
| the picture tube to prevent interference (either way.)
|
| Eric
|
| On Monday 05 September 2005 3:21 pm, gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
|
|>Doug Crompton wrote:
|>

|>>I use the central filter approach here and it works fine. One thing to
|>>note however is that these filters are not magnetically shielded. They
|>>will pick up hum from adjacent power lines. I had that problem and simply
|>>re-orienting the filter stopped the problem.
|>>

|>This might sound silly and look bad, but, would wrapping the filter in
|>aluminum foil help?

Electromagnetics course notwithstanding, I have opened up many a piece
of comm. type wire with spirally wrapped aluminum foil used for
shielding. Sometimes also in basket weave configuration[think coax with
RCA plugs terminating]. However, if you would be uncomfortable with the
aluminum you could use the copper screening material used for summer
window screens. The screen holes should work OK For the Hertz that are
being dealt with.

Stewart