Mike Leone on 7 Sep 2005 19:31:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux/active directory

Mike Leone (turgon@mike-leone.com) had this to say on 09/07/05 at 14:46:
> Ronald Mansolino (rmsolino@netaxs.com) had this to say on 09/05/05 at 22:03:
> >
> > ok.
> > My friend went and turned on the active directory on his win2003 server. ugh.
> > He then found out that the only clients that could use the network were
> > XP Pro, so he shelled aout a bunch of dough for upgrades.
>
> Then he must have configured his AD wrong, because there's no way that
> earlier clients (Win2K and under) don't work with Win2K3 AD (in what used to
> be called "mixed mode", I believe).

According to my WinNt mailing list:

"Older clients need to be fully patched or you'll need to disable the default
server requirement for SMB signing."

So perhaps he did not need to upgrade all client to WinXP. Also, the SMB
signing might be something that would affect you (or rather, Samba clients).
Something you should be aware of, anyway, if you want to connect to a
Win2003 AD, especially using Samba.