John Von Essen on 12 Sep 2005 15:28:35 -0000

[PLUG] weird named behavior...

This one baffles me.

For years, I have always been able to "spoof" dns on my local DNS servers
for testing purposes.

Lately I have noticed an odd behavior in bind. If I setup a zone on my dns
server for, say, apple.com, and a add a bogus A record of 192.168.1.1 for
www. I restart named, do an nslookup on the dns box itself, and voila, the
192 IP is returned.

So, then I go to my secondary nameserver, and setup apple.com as a slave
zone to the primary machine I just finished settign up. Do a ndc restart,
but this time BIND complains, it says I'm not authoritative for apple.com
(which I'm not...) and I cant complete the zone transfer.

Now this is wehre it gets weird. If I go back to my primary dns, where
apple.com was previously work, and do an nslookup, it ignores my local
zone, and goes out to the authoritative DNS server for apple.com

This is driving my crazy. For starters, its a huge hassle for when you are
transferring someones DNS over to your server. And it can't figure out how
BIND disables itselfs for that local apple.com zone that it somehow
determined was not authoritative...

Anyone else encounter this?

-John