Michael C. Toren on 12 Sep 2005 16:00:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] weird named behavior...

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:27:42AM -0400, John Von Essen wrote:
> So, then I go to my secondary nameserver, and setup apple.com as a slave
> zone to the primary machine I just finished settign up. Do a ndc restart,
> but this time BIND complains, it says I'm not authoritative for apple.com
> (which I'm not...) and I cant complete the zone transfer.
>
> Now this is wehre it gets weird. If I go back to my primary dns, where
> apple.com was previously work, and do an nslookup, it ignores my local
> zone, and goes out to the authoritative DNS server for apple.com

If things were working properly, in this configuration your nameserver
would respond with the bogus A record for www.apple.com, and it would
think that it was authoritative for the apple.com zone.  Both problems
you're reporting are symptoms of the same root cause -- that the zone on
your primary is misconfigured or otherwise not loading properly.  If you
stop and start the daemon, what does bind write to your logfile on
startup?

> And it can't figure out how BIND disables itselfs for that local apple.com
> zone that it somehow determined was not authoritative...

If you define a zone in your named.conf file as master, and if the
zonefile loads successfully, bind will report itself as authoritative.
There's no magic where it checks against the root servers to confirm
you're authorized to use the zone, or anything along those lines.

HTH,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec