George A. Theall on 13 Sep 2005 20:58:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RBL lists for postfix?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 04:26:59PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:

> I use the following, as RBL lists, at my work postfix:
>
>         reject_rbl_client       list.dsbl.org,
>         reject_rbl_client       multihop.dslbl.org,
>         reject_rbl_client       sbl.spamhaus.org,
>
> I haven't kept up with the RBL lists; are there others I should be checking?
> These are all still operating, I believe. These seem to do a decent job, but
> any improvement in outright rejecting spam at SMTP time is appreciated.

I don't know if this helps you with postfix -- I use sendmail -- but for
what it's worth...

I've been using Spamhaus and dnsbl.sorbs.net for a while and last month
configured one of my mail servers to graylist incoming connections.
Doing so has dropped the number of connections rejected by these
blacklists from around 100 to 2 per day while the number for the server
that doesn't graylist has remained constant.  I plan to monitor for a
bit longer but will probably stop dynamically checking the two RBL lists
and just stick with graylisting.  I do, though, use SpamHaus' D.R.O.P
list (http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop.lasso) to drop traffic from
known bad guys with iptables.

George
--