Melissa Yarborough on 15 Sep 2005 14:19:02 -0000

[PLUG] Ubuntu install won't boot

In BIOS, I set it to boot the CD-ROM Drive first (where the Ubuntu installation cd is), but when I save and exit BIOS, the computer continues to boot Mandrake 9.2. I'm pretty sure that I wrote the ISO image to the cd. I also can't figure out how to install Ubuntu from the cd once I'm in Mandrake. (There are no easy icons to follow; this may be due to the fact that the monitor is Icewin - a fact I have not yet been able to change.)

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:30:40 -0400
From: Melissa Yarborough <myarborough@gmail.com>
Subject: [PLUG] Installation obstacles
To: plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

A new linux user, switching from a poorly installed Mandrake to a hopefully
correctly installed Ubuntu distribution, I cannot figure out how to boot the
installation disc. It does not automatically pop up when I start or restart
the computer (2000 IBM Thinkpad). Is there a command to use once I'm in
Mandrake that will allow me to install Ubuntu? Or is there another way to
boot the installation disc?

Thanks,
Melissa