LeRoy Cressy on 15 Sep 2005 16:05:51 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu install wont boot

gyoza@comcast.net wrote:
> Christopher M. Jones wrote:
>

>>No, no, install was fine! Beautiful! The problem was that I tried to use
>>etherconf and got locked out. The problem was that etherconf put
>>copernicus.example.com into the hostname file, and then didn't reload
>>sudoers. So I booted with a livecd, chrooted, and set a root password
>>(enabled the root account). Then I was free to figure out the problem
>>with sudo and fix it. It's all good now. Thanks, everyone, for your
>>suggestions.
>>

> For future reference, you might have been able to boot into single user
> mode and get in without a password.
booting into single user mode should ask you for the root password.

/etc/inittab shoule contain something like:
# What to do in single-user mode.
~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

       wait   The  process will be started once when the specified
           runlevel is entered and init will wait for its
              termination.

Check the man page for inittab.  Most systems require the root password
to enter single user mode.

If you are forced to log in without a password you need a boot disk with
chroot on it.  Knoppix and Tom's root/boot disk are handy beside the
installation CD for your distribution if it has the ability to access a
shell terminal.

Using a boot disk is only required in dire circumstances like the master
boot record is destroyed, or a hard disk failure.  For most situations,
booting into single user mode and providing the root password should be
sufficient.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
                       FAX:    215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/