Stephen Gran on 19 Sep 2005 22:09:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] XMMS issue in Fedora Core 3

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 05:37:25PM -0400, Shameel Arafin said:
> 1) Hi all. I have a strange sound/soundcard/XMMS issue in Fedora Core 3.
> When XMMS is playing, no other sounds are played (e.g. from IM or email
> clients)... But when the XMMS song ends, all the sounds start playing
> (e.g. beeps and chirps from various IM messages).
>
> It's like two different apps cannot send sound at the same time... but
> when XMMS ends, all the buffered (?) sounds finally get through...
>
> I did the soundcard config check (Gnome) and tried the Test Sound...
> even the test sound got 'buffered' until XMMS had stopped playing...
>
> 2) On a separate note... My XMMS won't play OGG files... I'm pretty sure
> it's supposed to :) ... But I can't even load OGG files into my XMMS
> player...
>
> I'm using the default Intel soundcard/chip on my laptop, no extra sound
> card or anything.

1) XMMS doesn't pay attetntion to what your desktop is doing about sound.
You have to actually open the preferences GUI for XMMS, and tell it to
use the same sound sound daemon that your desktop is currently using
(esd, if you're using gnome).

For a longer description of the problem, it is basically that XMMS is
locking the card to a single input, and the sound daemon has to wait
until it's free.  There are numerous FAQ's and such about sound daemon's
in linux (and why they all suck, but suck slightly less than listening
to one sound at time).

2) I have no idea what the name of the rpm would be, but you're missing
a plug in for XMMS to play ogg's, presumably.
|  Stephen Gran                  | laser, n.:  Failed death ray.           |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |