Craig Pearlman on 23 Sep 2005 17:11:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] setting up your own DNS server hostnames/domains

--- Marc Zucchelli <marcz908@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How do you go about setting up for example
> ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.  Do you
> actually create the zone files for mydomain.com and
> then set up A records for ns1 and ns2?  Then when a
> registrar such as godaddy asks for the domain name of
> the dns servers and not the ip addresses how do they
> know where to find it since it cant look up the A
> records on your domain server to begin with since your
> name servers arent set up with them yet........That
> was complicated...
>
> Thats basically what a godaddy support person told me,
> that I have to set it up on my own name servers.  But
> I did this years ago using network solutions, and I
> registered "hosts" directly with them, so I guess that
> just bypassed the name servers.  The godaddy guy told
> me they cant do that and neither can network
> solutions.
>
> Can somebody please bring me up to date on this?

Having just done this myself...

First, I'd recommend checking with a different person at GoDaddy. The one I
spoke to (who resolved my issue) was extremely helpful.

Basically, in order to set up the nameservers, you need to first establish a
Domain Host (you can do that down the right side options in GoDaddy's Domain
Manager). This basically tells the registrar that the domain can provide DNS
services to other domains. Once it's set up, you can then tell your other
domains to point to that one.

As for your local setup, that's another matter entirely, but the issue here
seems to be with setting up the DNS servers for your domains, not the other
half.

-Craig.

craig@blackfog.net                   cpearlma@yahoo.com
http://craig.blackfog.net            http://www.openroleplaying.org
Y! : cpearlma                        AIM: craigpearlman
MSN: cpearlma@yahoo.com              ICQ: 211121815
"Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding
it."                                                -- Lloyd Alexander