Edward Pike on 23 Sep 2005 17:34:17 -0000

Re: [PLUG] setting up your own DNS server hostnames/domains

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 09:57 -0700, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> How do you go about setting up for example
> ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.  Do you
> actually create the zone files for mydomain.com and
> then set up A records for ns1 and ns2?  Then when a
> registrar such as godaddy asks for the domain name of
> the dns servers and not the ip addresses how do they
> know where to find it since it cant look up the A
> records on your domain server to begin with since your
> name servers arent set up with them yet........That
> was complicated...

if NS for mydomain.com is xxx.mydomain.com (the ns host is within
the domain itself) you tell godaddy the name AND ip addresses of
teh ns1.mysdomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, there's an option
on their website to do that.  this prevents a recursive
condition.  the IP address is stored in their nameserver,
AND make sure that your zone setup on your actuall nameserver
also reflect this.  your zone setup should actually have A records
for that NS records also.

if NS for mydomain.com is anotherdomain.com you should not specify
the IP address--thats handled by anotherdomain.  you just say that
the nameservers for mydomain.com is ns1.anotherdomain.com.

sorry If my terminologies arent precise (its been a while).

epike