Marc Zucchelli on 23 Sep 2005 16:58:21 -0000

[PLUG] setting up your own DNS server hostnames/domains

How do you go about setting up for example
ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.  Do you
actually create the zone files for mydomain.com and
then set up A records for ns1 and ns2?  Then when a
registrar such as godaddy asks for the domain name of
the dns servers and not the ip addresses how do they
know where to find it since it cant look up the A
records on your domain server to begin with since your
name servers arent set up with them yet........That
was complicated...

Thats basically what a godaddy support person told me,
that I have to set it up on my own name servers.  But
I did this years ago using network solutions, and I
registered "hosts" directly with them, so I guess that
just bypassed the name servers.  The godaddy guy told
me they cant do that and neither can network
solutions.

Can somebody please bring me up to date on this?

Thanks!