Tom Diehl on 23 Sep 2005 19:46:17 -0000

[PLUG] Re: setting up your own DNS server hostnames/domains

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Marc Zucchelli wrote:

> How do you go about setting up for example
> ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com.  Do you
> actually create the zone files for mydomain.com and
> then set up A records for ns1 and ns2?  Then when a
> registrar such as godaddy asks for the domain name of
> the dns servers and not the ip addresses how do they
> know where to find it since it cant look up the A
> records on your domain server to begin with since your
> name servers arent set up with them yet........That
> was complicated...
>
> Thats basically what a godaddy support person told me,
> that I have to set it up on my own name servers.  But
> I did this years ago using network solutions, and I
> registered "hosts" directly with them, so I guess that
> just bypassed the name servers.  The godaddy guy told
> me they cant do that and neither can network
> solutions.
>
> Can somebody please bring me up to date on this?

You need to setup your name servers and register them with godaddy. You tell
them what ip addresses are for ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com are. Once
the name servers are registered, if they are properly setup things will
"just work"

Having said he above DO NOT try this on a domain that must operate right away.
Getting name servers setup properly the first time can be very problematic.

I would strongly suggest you get the cricket book [1] and do a lot of reading
first. Also once you think you have things up and running goto dnsstuff.com
and test your dns setup. It will give you a lot of information about what you
have setup correctly and what you do not.

In addition if you are setting up a domain that is going to be used for
anything more than playing around you need a minimum of 2 geographically
name servers. That way if one fails your names will still resolve.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com

[1] DNS and BIND 4th Edition ISBN: 0-596-00158-4