Tom Diehl on 1 Oct 2005 21:29:18 -0000

[PLUG] Re: rhel problems

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Michael Lazin wrote:

> I am running rhel 4 WS and I recently installed a new kernel and
> switched the desktop to KDE.  Now the machine will not boot, even
> using the original kernel.  I tried to look this up but I couldn't
> find anything.  I am assuming that the problem has to do with kde, not
> the kernel because the original kernel that worked no longer
> functions.  I could try the rescue disk, but I have a SATA hd
> controller that rhel doesn't have a built in driver for.  I had to
> install the driver before I installed redhat.  Is there a way to just
> boot my system bypassing the gui, and boot right into a command line?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

won't boot is not much info to go on. It is kinda like saying my puter is broke.

What do you get? Does grub load?? If grub loads where does the boot hang?
What do you see on the screen? any error messages?? How far does the boot process
get? Neither KDE or gnome will keep the machine from booting. They might keep
X from starting but by the time X starts the machine is up and running.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123@rogueind.com