Dan Widyono on 1 Oct 2005 23:32:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rhel problems

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 04:46:24PM -0400, Michael Lazin wrote:
> I am running rhel 4 WS and I recently installed a new kernel and
> switched the desktop to KDE.  Now the machine will not boot, even
> using the original kernel.

I agree with Tom, we need more info.  I can say this much: the first time
this happened to me I was stymied because I hadn't thought about the Nvidia
driver needing to be recompiled.  This would not prevent the original kernel
from loading, though.  So, we'll need more info.

> install the driver before I installed redhat.  Is there a way to just
> boot my system bypassing the gui, and boot right into a command line?

Yes, if you're using grub, when the menu appears hit tab or space, type 'e'
to edit the default entry, select the kernel line, type 'e' to edit it,
right-arrow to end (I'm sure there's a keyboard shortcut) and add " single".
If you're using lilo, when the prompt appears type "linux single" replacing
"linux" with the actual name of the default kernel setup.

Oh, in grub if you first get a swanky GUI boot screen I think you need to hit
Escape to get to the text menu, or something like that.

Or, get a Knoppix CD which has the appropriate SATA drivers (or rebuild it
with the necessary drivers).

Regards,
Dan W.