Aaron Mulder on 7 Oct 2005 20:10:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New Laptop Recommendations

On 10/7/05, Stewart B Lone <v592653589793238@verizon.net> wrote:
> Yes, Thinkpads all the way. I have had my T-30 for over 2 years now.
> Came with XP Pro. Eventually went with Suse 9.1, then 9.3. Everything
> just works, out of the box as is said.

Well, not *everything*...

With SuSE 9.3 (and a ThinkPad T42) I needed an extra boot parameter
for Suspend to RAM to work.  Also, the security chip, hard drive
accelerometer, and fingerprint reader on the latest models don't work
in Linux AFAIK.  Still, that's ridiculously good Linux support
compared to the recent Dell's I've tried, and there's an excellent
Linux-on-Thinkpad mailing list.

If you're looking for a new ThinkPad, your company can sign up for a
free partnership with IBM and get 40% off up to 6 ThinkPads a year.
Or if you have various credit cards or accounts you can get 5-25% off
by using a special order URL.  Or you can call and have the sales guy
offer you a discount, or just order from a reseller.  :)  Finally, the
IBM web site does not actually list all configurations they sell.  You
can find that in the "tabook.pdf" link on this page:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/me.nsf/LenovoInfo?OpenAgent&key=Thinkpad+literature&&cntry=US-L

Aaron