sean finney on 25 Oct 2005 14:31:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Recovery 2.5GB of deleted files

hi eugene,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 10:16:43AM -0400, Eugene Smiley wrote:
> Currently the machine is powered down so that nothing can be written
> to disk over the affected areas. The files are on a 400GB 3ware RAID5
> ext3 partition. Before giving up last night, I tried 'recover', but
> the filters I tried didn't recover anything. Is there anything about
> ext over Raid that would prevent data recovery?

hmm... i'm guessing that you don't have another 400GB of free space to
dd a binary image of your partition?  that's usually the very first
thing i do in a situation like this.  and yes, there have been quite
a few of those as i rm -rf a lot and sometimes my fingers don't type
in teh order they're supposed to :)

> Right now, it's taking everything not to curl in a ball on the floor
> and suck my thumb while crying, "Oh my God... Oh my God... Oh my
> God..." But instead thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas that
> might help.

we'll afaik you're screwed as far as the "easy way" goes, as ext3
does not provide any kind of undelete functionality (the list of
blocks owned by an inode disappears when the file does).

so... exactly what kind of data/how much data/how many files are we
talking about here?

you might want to look back in the plug archives for a thread about
"undo mkfs" in which i (and others iirc) gave some advice for what to
do in these "worst of all situations" situations.

	sean