Doug Crompton on 25 Oct 2005 18:30:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] wrt54g driving me nuts.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Lee Marzke wrote:

> The WRT-54G's *are* access points.  The WAP-54's are not supported yet as
> far as I understand and lack protection of the boot code - avoid them.

Thanks for the version info Lee. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology.
When I say "access point" what I want to do is just connect the 54g to my
local network on one of it's LAN ports and have wireless access to my
laptop. My question is what settings need to be made to minimally
accomplish this, security aside for the moment. I see conflicting advice
on this. I assume I do not want to use the WAN port but rather one of the
LAN ports?

There are so many versions and different options that it is hard to pin
this down. For instance there is no way on the one I have now to turn off
NAT. I just want to connect an existing 192.168 (nat'ed) network to
wireless. I don't even need DHCP as that exists on a upstream router.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *