Michael C Finn on 26 Oct 2005 21:43:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT - winxp file evaporation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Crompton" <doug@crompton.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 03:34 PM

> When creating nested, long filename directories there is a potential for
> unexpected files loss. I had a tree about 7-10 deep with names that were
> rather long at most levels. When attempting to manipulate the files in a
> directory window at the bottom of the tree (left click the filename to
> mark and right click to display the actions) the file immediately
> disappeared from view. No warning no nothing. At first I thought I had a
> virus or some other system problem but that is not the case. This is a
> real windows bug. I was able to recreate it and it seems that in general
> windows treatment of file paths over the 256 character limit is handled
> very poorly. Just beware. I lost an important file last night. In
> disbelief I spent a great deal of time trying to fine it to no avail. When
> this problem happens it just evaporates. I assume it is still really
> somewhere until overwritten but it does not appear in any directory or any
> search.
>
> This was on WinXP media center 2005 edition.

It's worse than a Windows bug; it's a Windows design feature!

I have a copy of the Windows 95 Resource Kit book.  Beginning with long file
name support in Win 95, maximum filename component length is 255 characters
and maximum path length is 260 characters. In the administrative
considerations subchapter, it is suggested that file names be limited to 50 to
75 characters and to keep total path length in mind when using nested file
folders so there will be room for copying and moving files.

As far as I know, all subsequent versions right up to XP follow that same
rule.