Doug Crompton on 26 Oct 2005 19:34:49 -0000

[PLUG] OT - winxp file evaporation

I know there are some on here who use windows at times. Here is one to be
very aware of. I have not seen any mention of it but I sure experienced
it.

When creating nested, long filename directories there is a potential for
unexpected files loss. I had a tree about 7-10 deep with names that were
rather long at most levels. When attempting to manipulate the files in a
directory window at the bottom of the tree (left click the filename to
mark and right click to display the actions) the file immediately
disappeared from view. No warning no nothing. At first I thought I had a
virus or some other system problem but that is not the case. This is a
real windows bug. I was able to recreate it and it seems that in general
windows treatment of file paths over the 256 character limit is handled
very poorly. Just beware. I lost an important file last night. In
disbelief I spent a great deal of time trying to fine it to no avail. When
this problem happens it just evaporates. I assume it is still really
somewhere until overwritten but it does not appear in any directory or any
search.

This was on WinXP media center 2005 edition.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *