bergman on 29 Oct 2005 19:58:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB<>ATA is my assumption correct?

In the message dated: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:59:43 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Doug Crompton on
<[PLUG] USB<>ATA is my assumption correct?> were:
=> I have an external USB drive on Linux system. It is partitioned exactly
=> like my internal fixed ATA drive. I regularly backup the fixed drive to
=> this external drive. So the drives are essentially mirrors of each other.
=> Since the external USB drive is nothing but an ATA drive on an adapter am
=> I safe in assuming that it could, in an emergency, be installed as the
=> fixed internal drive and function properly? I would guess as far as the
=> drive is concerned it does not know where it is physically attached.

In general, for generic hardware and typical partitioning, "yes", your
assumption is correct. I've done this with several laptop drives.

In specific, in the instance of your particular hardware, in an emergency, at
the very moment when you need to use the external drive, "no", your assumption
is incorrect and that's when you'll discover some obscure incompatability. :)

Seriously, you should be able to do what you're describing, but I'd test it in
advance to discover any problems before that emergency strikes.

Mark

=>
=> Doug
=>
=> ****************************
=> *  Doug Crompton	   *
=> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
=> *  215-431-6307		   *
=> *		  	   *
=> * doug@crompton.com        *
=> * http://www.crompton.com  *
=> ****************************
=>
=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org
=>

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman