Jeff Abrahamson on 3 Nov 2005 12:49:26 -0000

[PLUG] OT: MIME and messages from Apple Mail

I have a friend who is using Apple Mail who is having trouble sending
me image attachments.  Or, rather, I'm having trouble receiving them.

The problem is that while his MUA should (and used to) do something
like this:

  I   1 <no description>                 [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.3K]
  I   2 chris_southern_ca_siding.jpg             [image/jpeg, base64, 8.7M]

It's actually started doing this:

  I   1 <no description>                   [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.7M]
  I   2    <no description>               [text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 0.6K]
  I   3    <no description>                   [multipa/related, 7bit, 2.7M]
  I   4      <no description>         [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 2.2K]
  I   5      IMG_2965.JPG                        [image/jpeg, base64, 2.7M]

Note that the image attachment is part of the text/html bundle and so
the supposedly equivalent text/plain bundle doesn't get the pic.

At first I thought this was a simple drag-and-drop vs attach subtlety,
but he says no.  Any suggestions how either to help him or compensate
here?  (The problem is that I'm not shown that there's an image
attached, although I can see, if I notice, that the message is much
bigger than the text would suggest.)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287