Art Alexion on 3 Nov 2005 13:10:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: MIME and messages from Apple Mail

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

>I have a friend who is using Apple Mail who is having trouble sending
>me image attachments.  Or, rather, I'm having trouble receiving them.

>The problem is that while his MUA should (and used to) do something
>like this:
>
>  I   1 <no description>                 [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.3K]
>  I   2 chris_southern_ca_siding.jpg             [image/jpeg, base64, 8.7M]
>
>It's actually started doing this:
>
>  I   1 <no description>                   [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.7M]
>  I   2    <no description>               [text/plain, quoted, utf-8, 0.6K]
>  I   3    <no description>                   [multipa/related, 7bit, 2.7M]
>  I   4      <no description>         [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 2.2K]
>  I   5      IMG_2965.JPG                        [image/jpeg, base64, 2.7M]
>
>Note that the image attachment is part of the text/html bundle and so
>the supposedly equivalent text/plain bundle doesn't get the pic.

Does it happen when he just sends plain text with attachment as opposed
to multipart text & HTML?  From your example, that its what used to happen.

On another list, those of us using mozilla and evolution as MUA couldn't
read those multipart messages from outlook users, because the
multipart-alternative wasn't properly configured on the sending side,
and our readers were displaying a blank alternative with the list footer
the only thing showing.  The only way to read those messages was to
"reply" to them and then read the message in the quoted text.  So maybe
Apple Mail doesn't follow the multipart-alternative standards properly,
either.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c