John Von Essen on 3 Nov 2005 16:59:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT? Costs of set-up and ownership, dedicated server

Well the server cost is easy, just go to hp.com or dell.com, etc.,. and
price out a server. If your company already has a network in place, then
thats taken care off, just get a good UPS ($1000), and stick your server
on it. Or if your company has a small internal server room, stick the
server there.

As for 1 employee.... You can get a linux sysadmin for anywhere between
$35,000/yr all the way up to $120,000/yr. The salary dictates the level of
competency. $35,000 gets you an idiot with no experience, $120,000 gets
you an expert. But an expert would probably not want to work for you with
1 server. Your best bet is to outsource the admin to a third party who
would just bill you for time. So if you only need 14 hours of work in a
month from your admin, 14 hours @ $35/hr = $490, then thats alot a cheaper
then hiring someone. A basic web/mail/dns/ftp/db server when setup
correctly, is very easy to maintain.

If you go the outsourced route, you can contact me off-list, my company
provides these kinds of services (www.essenz.com).

Also, if the servers capacity is purely low bandwidth (i.e. not a
local-net fileserver), you can probably outsource the server too. Just a
get a dedicated server from a local ISP/Colo/Network company, and have
your contract admin maintain that dedicated server. A good dedicated
server will run $200-$300 a month, but there is no equipment to purchase.
Or you can buy your own server ($4000), and just colocate it ($100-$150
per month). Dedicated servers tend to be newer low-end machines, or they
are older high-end.

-John Von Essen