Art Alexion on 29 Nov 2005 01:15:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Career opportunities

Christopher M. Jones wrote:

>Hi, all. I'm asking for general advice from those of you who have some
>experience or knowledge of the technology job market. I'm finding that
>my family's financial needs are outpacing my earning potential as a
>private school teacher. Since I do have some pretty good computer
>skills, I was thinking I might try to make a start there. The problem is
>that my education is in the humanities and my computer experience is all
>circumstantial and informal. What are my options?
>
>I know Linux (been using it for about seven years), HTML, PHP, some
>Java, had a course or two in C++, and I know some networking and general
>system administration. I'm willing to do anything, as long as there is
>the chance for advancement. My salary requirements are, at the bare
>minimum, $30,000.
>
>I've considered self employment as well. Any suggestions there?

I don't know your political leanings, and hope I don't offend, but this
could be an opportunity.  My qualifications and interests are similar to
yours, and I think a traditional IT-first job is out in today's market.
However, there may be opportunities with institutions that want certain
kinds of dedicated workers first, but would like to have ones with some
IT aptitude.

--

_______________________________________
Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c

--- Begin Message ---

The New Organizing Institute is looking for the 50 most promising online organizers in the country to learn MoveOn-style organizing techniques, innovate together, and work on some of 2006's most important campaigns. Interested in applying for this expense-paid week of training?

Apply to the Institute

Will you support this effort with a contribution?

Support this Effort

Dear MoveOn member,

The Internet has made huge changes in politics—bringing new people into an old process and giving underdogs and populists a better chance. But at MoveOn, we know that behind every new online tool or technique—from Bush in 30 Seconds, the MoveOn  Voter Fund's do-it-yourself ad contest, to the "virtual phone bank" that facilitated millions of calls to voters last year—there is a person. We call these folks online organizers.

Now, our former organizing director Zack Exley is working on cultivating the next generation of "online organizers" at the New Organizing Institute. The first step: find 50 talented up-and-coming organizers, put them through an all-expenses-paid training week, and place them on 2006 campaigns where they can really make a difference.

Interested in applying? Click here.
Want to help support this effort? Click here.

I've attached Zack's message, which explains a little more about the Institute and who we're looking for, below.

Please think about whether there's someone you know who might be interested and pass this message on to him or her. Though progressives have dominated this field, the Right is systematically training online organizers for their campaigns and organizations. By helping us find the next generation of online organizers, you can help bring MoveOn-style online organizing to the most important campaigns of 2006—and change the way politics works.

Thanks for all you do.

–Eli, Marika, Joan, Matt and the MoveOn.org Political Action Team
  Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005

From: Zack Exley, New Organizing Institute

Dear friend,

In 2004 a lucky handful of us had the opportunity to fiddle a bit with the Internet as a political tool—at MoveOn, Meetup, Dean, Kerry and elsewhere. We learned a thing or two, but really only just scratched the surface. Now, as 2006 elections approach, we need a new generation of online organizers to build on the lessons of 2004 and discover a whole new way of winning campaigns.

If you think you have what it takes to be one of them, then please apply to the New Organizing Institute's first online organizer training. The training will take place Feb. 24 to Mar. 4 in Washington, DC. All travel and expenses will be paid for those accepted.

Learn more and apply: http://neworganizing.com/apply.html
Or donate to make this training possible: https://political.moveon.org/donate/noi.html?id=6409-3887608-7YzLgFI_SHyuJKY6RwNOJA&t=3

A group of experienced organizers and I are putting this training program together to make sure progressives retain their edge on the Internet. It's something we could easily lose: conservatives already have several programs in place and the RNC is training and placing waves of online organizers on campaigns right now.

We're not looking for people to execute a cookie cutter model. There is no model! We're looking for passionate, creative, brilliant and yet meticulous people who want to work together to revolutionize the way politics are done.

This one-week training will be incredibly intensive, and only those who can keep up will be placed on campaigns. Once placed, you'll be supported by a mentoring network of experienced organizers and technologists. Together we'll figure out what works online for 2006 campaigns and what doesn't, develop new tools and techniques, and share the results so that all progressive campaigns and organizations can benefit.

We're looking for people of diverse skills and experience—not just programming or web design. One key skill is writing and one key experience is any kind of grassroots or field organizing.

Please apply today—or forward this email to someone you think will be interested. Apply here:
http://neworganizing.com/apply.html

And please make a donation to make this training possible today:
https://political.moveon.org/donate/noi.html?id=6409-3887608-7YzLgFI_SHyuJKY6RwNOJA&t=4

Thank you,

Zack Exley
New Organizing Institute

PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://political.moveon.org/?id=6409-3887608-7YzLgFI_SHyuJKY6RwNOJA&t=5
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn.org Political Action. To change your email address, update your contact info, or remove yourself (Arthur Alexion) from this list, please visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=6409-3887608-7YzLgFI_SHyuJKY6RwNOJA