Christopher M. Jones on 28 Nov 2005 20:25:30 -0000

[PLUG] [OT] Career opportunities

Hi, all. I'm asking for general advice from those of you who have some
experience or knowledge of the technology job market. I'm finding that
my family's financial needs are outpacing my earning potential as a
private school teacher. Since I do have some pretty good computer
skills, I was thinking I might try to make a start there. The problem is
that my education is in the humanities and my computer experience is all
circumstantial and informal. What are my options?

I know Linux (been using it for about seven years), HTML, PHP, some
Java, had a course or two in C++, and I know some networking and general
system administration. I'm willing to do anything, as long as there is
the chance for advancement. My salary requirements are, at the bare
minimum, $30,000.

I've considered self employment as well. Any suggestions there?