sean finney on 2 Dec 2005 07:05:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Java troubles

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 10:47:19PM -0500, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> Generally your options are to remove G*J (which I've always found to
> be pretty crappy, but I'm a Java developer not a free software fanatic
> :) or to put your Java installation at the *beginning* of the path.
> For example in your .bash_profile:

you may notice that /usr/bin/java is actually a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/java, because the java packages use the
alternatives system.  thus, you replace the current symlink
at /etc/alternatives/java with a symlink pointing at
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java or
whatever and then not have to muck with your path (though i guess
you'd still have to set JAVA_HOME, maybe).

this will work across upgrades and new installations of other
java related packages.

	sean