sean finney on 2 Dec 2005 09:15:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Latest mail worm...

hi doug,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 03:13:56AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I am getting 50-100 messages a day generated by this latest worm. This
> latest one really seems to be sending a large volume. Has anyone setup any
> traps for it? It seems to always be 77xxx bytes. I would not be adverse to
> throwing out any mail that was in that range. I suspect that there would
> be a very small percentage if any good mails that were in that range. Does
> procmail have a way to do that?

it does, though i would never do such a thing myself because it's a
rather arbitrary means of filtering email:

:0:
* > 77000
* < 78000
viruses

(not tested myself)

imho: if it's within your power to greylist, you'll find that a more
effective way of blocking these one-shot viruses.  alternatively, if you
use+administer spamassassin, you could bump up spam scores for viruses in
that range, or use other heuristics to help keep them out of your inbox.

	sean