Ziegler, Scott on 2 Dec 2005 18:25:32 -0000

RE: [PLUG] New Linux Machines and cloning?

This worked extremely well for us. I just built an 11 node system in 2
hours, start to finish. We used HP DL380's with hot swap raid1. I built the
first system, pulled a disk and placed it in the second machine alone,
booted, configured IP/host name, inserted the mirror disk and waited for the
copy to complete, then repeated on the next node. The more machines you have
built, the more disks you have available and the more you can build at the
same time. I started this about 3 years ago and has been the only way to
date we have built nodes (40 total).

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of
Daniel.G.Roberts@sanofi-aventis.com
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 4:14 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] New Linux Machines and cloning?

Hello All

I have six new linux machines which I must deploy ASAP of course!
My question is this..
Each of these machines will have mirrored drives.
Can I install the OS on the first machine and then at some point detach the
mirror and place this second drive into the next workstation boot up the
system and attach and synch the drives on the second workstation and repeat
the process for all the system on which I have to install the OS.
With something like this I would have to only install the OS from scatch
once..
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
DAn

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.