Edward Pike on 2 Dec 2005 18:49:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] New Linux Machines and cloning?

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 16:14 -0500, Daniel.G.Roberts@sanofi-aventis.com
wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have six new linux machines which I must deploy ASAP of course!
> My question is this..
> Each of these machines will have mirrored drives.
> Can I install the OS on the first machine and then at some point detach the mirror and place this second drive into the next workstation boot up the system and attach and synch the drives on the second workstation and repeat the process for all the system on which I have to install the OS.
> With something like this I would have to only install the OS from scatch once..
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!
> DAn

there is this program called 'partimage' that can
lift an image of partitions and store them as
files.  you then restore the partition using
the image file/s.  Its faster than dd and you can
see the progress.

1. build the first machine
2. boot knoppix and use "partimage" to copy
   the partitions to a network drive or usb
   drive (network need server and slave, so
   actually store the static version of both
   on the server, download the static slave
   on the machine your'e restoring into, under
   knoppix).
3. boot knoppix on the target machine and
   restore partitions using partimage.

epike